All American football enthusiasts will likely be well-familiar with the name: Tom Brady. He is a former quarterback with a record of holding the most (five) “Super Bowl MVP” awards in the National Football League (NFL) history.
For a major part of his career, he was associated with the New England Patriots and he also became a pivotal contributor to the franchise from 2001 to 2019.
Tom Brady is known for his executioner-killer instinct and quick-witted playing capabilities on the field that made him among the best national football players, and among the most legendary players in the history of the NFL. Not only that, but his long-term dedication to fitness and physical well-being has helped him become the man he is today.
His commitment to fitness can be understood by the fact that he wrote a book about it in 2017, titled “The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance.”
Today, at the age of 46 and retirement, he remains healthy and fit by taking care of his body and following a workout and diet regimen which he mentioned in his book.
In this article, you’ll be getting all the details about Tom Brady’s workout and diet routine, which if you follow you can similarly feel healthy and fulfilled. So what are we waiting for?
Let’s start reading!
Tom Brady’s Biographical Details
|Full name||Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr.|
|Birth||August 3, 1977, California, US|
Tom Brady’s Workout And Diet: “The TB12 Method”
Brady has openly discussed his meticulously crafted workout and diet plan in his book, revolving mainly around his method: “The TB12 Method.” Just as magical as it sounds, following this routine will help you attain your dream body in no time.
The TB12 method is a diet and workout regimen built by Tom Brady to help you gain a body like his. The first volume was released in 2017, and the newest version for released in 2020. It talks all about eating healthy, being hydrated, following nutritious recipes, and more.
He focuses mainly on strength and resistance training along with other components incorporated into his workout regimen such as exercises involved with equipment like massage balls, and resistance bands that help him train for muscle strength and agility.
A particularly special thing that I found out about his workout is his determination to give just as much importance to mind training as he gives to physical training. He performs a set of brain exercises that help in stay focused and level up his game performance too.
He mentioned BrainHQ, a brain training program for adults, in his TB12 method to boost his brain performance and increase his cognitive skills. This helps him work strenuously towards his goal, without failing.
Here is a list of resistance training exercises that Tom Brady follows:
- Circular Crunches: 2 sets, 10 reps
- Bow and Arrow Pull: 1-2 sets, 8-10 reps
- Back Zip: 2 sets, 15 reps (areas focused: shoulders, back, arms, butt)
- Resistance Band Wood Chops: 2 sets, 10 reps
- Loop Squats: 1-2 sets, 10 reps
For increased flexibility, Tom performs these exercises:
- Foam rolling exercises (meant to focus on hamstring, calf muscles, back, and hips)
- Yoga exercises
- Full-body stretching
For increased muscle agility, he follows these exercises:
- Box Jumps: 3 sets, 5-8 reps, rest between 60 seconds between sets
- Depth Jumps: 3 sets, 8 reps, rest 60 seconds between sets
- Medicine Ball Overhead Slams: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, rest 60 seconds between sets
- Squat Jumps: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, rest 60 seconds between sets
- Single-leg jumps: 3 sets, 8 reps for each leg, rest 60 seconds between sets
- Hurdle Jumps: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, rest 60 seconds between sets
For hitting the extra mile, he performs these core training exercises:
- Russian Twists: 3 sets, 10-12 reps for each side
- Leg Raises: 3 sets, 10-12 reps
- Bicycle Crunches: 3 sets, 15-20 reps for each side
- Side Planks: 3 sets, hold 45 seconds on each side
- Planks with Leg Lift: 3 sets, hold 45 seconds on each side
Tom Brady’s Diet Philosophy
Now that we have covered Tom Brady’s workout plan briefly, it’s time to break down the diet philosophy that Tom Brady follows religiously to maintain his well-toned body. Let’s dive as much deeper as we can to understand his dietary approach and practices that help him maintain his body physique so perfectly.
Tom Brady follows a diet in which he chooses fresh, organic, vegetarian food options to fill in his body. He chooses to eat anti-inflammatory foods and picks foods with nutrient-dense nutritional content to recover his body and support muscle agility, movement, and strength.
Other than that, he omits alcohol consumption to a minimum, eats a selective variety of fruits and vegetables, and carbs, like you won’t be seeing him eating tomatoes, peppers, and pasta, and cereal in the morning either.
He chooses to eat alkaline foods that don’t upset his body’s pH balance, foods such as lean protein sources, veggies like spinach, carrots, and kale, and fruits like grapes, dates, bananas, and dry fruits like figs.
- Fruit smoothie
- Protein shake or supplement
- Lean protein in the form of fish meat or chicken meat
- Soup or broth
- Veggies; specifically the green ones
Brady practices to follow mindful eating habits that help him stay fit and healthy. He pays close attention to his eating pattern and his body’s needs. He would take hints from his body to fulfill his hunger needs that would support digestion and prevent overeating.
He loves to eat fruits and whole grains and doesn’t forget to drink plenty of water to replenish his body for good.
He carefully maintains his hydration levels for optimal performance and to aid his body’s recovery.
Along with carefully consuming protein-rich whole foods, he chooses to occasionally intake protein supplements, multivitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids.
This helps him to gear up his body even more to perform his best.
Moreover, if you want to follow Brady’s dieting philosophy religiously, you have to bear in mind that processed and canned foods are a big no-no for him, thus you won’t find him occasionally eating them either.
Not only that, but a lot of fitness freaks and celebrities avoid canned and processed foods due to the unhealthy amount of artificial additives, preservatives, sugar content, and trans fat they contain.
- Tom Brady is surely a big name in the world of the National Football League, but his determination to achieve his goal in aspects of his career, fitness, and life remains top-notch. He has established a big name for his unbreakable resilience, and strength which gave him a chance to prove himself on the field. Today, he is recognized as a former football player who won five “Super Bowl MVA” awards, the highest number of Super Bowl awards any national football player has ever gotten to this day.
- Brady is also known for his fitness approach, which he clearly explained in his book, The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance.”
- Tom focuses mainly on strength and resistance training along with other components incorporated into his workout regimen such as exercises involved with equipment like massage balls, and resistance bands that help him train for muscle strength and agility.
- Tom Brady follows a diet in which he chooses fresh, organic, vegetarian food options to fill in his body. He chooses to eat anti-inflammatory foods and picks foods with nutrient-dense nutritional content to recover his body and support muscle agility, movement, and strength.